We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

How Can I Tell the Difference between Poisonous and Edible Mushrooms?

By Crystal Cook
Updated May 16, 2024
Our promise to you
DelightedCooking is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At DelightedCooking, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

While mushrooms available for purchase in your local grocery should be safe to consume without question, poisonous and edible mushrooms can be difficult to tell apart in the wild. References such as field guides should always be used when gathering wild mushrooms. Brown mushrooms, Amanitas and false morels are all deadly. Other kinds of mushrooms can cause digestive problems or hallucinations. Checking against a reliable field guide can help reduce encounters with deadly mushrooms, but spore printing and chemical tests can more accurately ensure a mushroom's safety.

Of the many different types of mushrooms, three cause nearly all the deaths related to poisonous mushrooms. Many poisonous and edible mushrooms look very similar, so it is important to learn the differences between them. Experts recommend that even experienced gatherers use reference guides when gathering mushrooms. Mistakes can happen easily and even experienced gatherers have been poisoned by mushrooms.

Brown mushrooms are very common. These mushrooms also are called galerina and some refer to them as deadly galerina. Fallen trees, stumps and dead wood provide the perfect home for clusters of these mushrooms. As a common mushroom, these are picked often, though all small, brown mushrooms should be avoided, because accurate identification is difficult.

Approximately 90 percent of the poisonings that occur with mushrooms happen because of the Amanita. Even experts who are adept at telling poisonous and edible mushrooms apart often cannot tell the difference between an Amanita and a safe mushroom. The Amanita has a bulbous base that is unique to this kind of mushroom but may not always grow above ground, so careful digging may be required. The "death cap" is one type of Amanita, and so is "the destroying angel" which looks very similar to the safe, "meadow mushrooms" that are sold in stores. Most deaths are caused by "the destroying angel" because of the close resemblance.

One of the most popular mushrooms in the world is the morel. These mushrooms have wrinkled caps, thick stems and a flavor that is considered one of the best. False morels, which are poisonous, look similar. The differences between the poisonous and edible mushrooms are that false morels have caps that are not attached to the stem. Care should always be taken when gathering morels because, while both kinds have preferred season, both kinds also can grow any time during the year.

Poisonous and edible mushrooms are easy to mix up. Many kinds of mushrooms are poisonous enough to cause stomach problems or hallucinations but are not deadly. Gatherers should not taste a mushroom to see if it is poisonous, because some kinds of poisonous mushrooms do not taste bad, even though they're deadly. Spore printing, in which the moist mushroom cap is pressed against white paper to see the spore impression — specifically, its color — should be done to identify safe mushrooms. Chemical tests also should be done to ensure a mushroom is safe.

DelightedCooking is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Discussion Comments
By Markerrag — On May 07, 2014

@Terrificli -- shopping for mushrooms is the safest route, but there are some hobbyists who enjoy the heck out of spotting them in the wild. How can one avoid being poisoned? Research, learn from experts and cultivate enough knowledge as you can about how to spot safe mushrooms. Remember -- people who are probably no more intelligent than you developed ways to harvest safe mushrooms centuries ago. You can develop those same skills.

Still, even a hobbyist skilled at spotting mushrooms should learn to leave something alone if there is any doubt about whether it is poison or not. There's nothing wrong with cultivating mushroom hunting and collecting as a hobby, but exercise some caution in the process.

By Terrificli — On May 06, 2014

This article points out a fact very well -- it can be difficult and sometimes almost impossible to tell the difference between a dandy, edible mushroom and one that is deadly poison. For that reason, leave such identifications up to the experts. Confine your hunting to your local market and you'll be fine.

DelightedCooking, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

DelightedCooking, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.